Thursday 11 March 2010

A present for Mila...




So a quick update, my 2nd knitted soft toy project is complete - hooray! It's a fairy doll knitted for Mila's 2nd birthday (Mila is my good friend Laurence's daughter). I was absolutely smitten with this pattern when I saw it. It's another one by Amy Gaines and knowing Laurence's love of dolls, which I am sure she has passed on to Mila, it called out to me as the perfect present.

This pattern is much more intricate than the owl I knitted for Mabel, and subsequently took quite a lot longer to make, but it was equally enjoyable to work on. It was hugely satisfying seeing all the individual components coming together, I especially liked working on the really fiddly bits, the curls of her hair & the flower & petals.





As with the owl, I had to adlib with the colours a bit using what was available at short notice, but I stayed as faithful to the pattern as possible and I think it turned out ok. I used 100% organic cotton yarn, which gave an extremely soft and tactile finish. I would definitely recommend it for soft toys.

So that's another one done and much as though I would love to get stuck straight into the next one (a Christening gift) I need to take a short break from knitting to embark on a another craft - card making. Mother's day is looming and my Mum would be really disappointed if she didn't get a hand made card so I need to try and get some inspiration for that one quick.

Will keep you posted on developments....


No comments:

Post a Comment