Monday 15 March 2010

A short break from knitting...

So as promised, a small break from knitting was taken to work on my Mum's mother's day card. I bought a lovely necklace with a turquoise stone for her present and when I looked at it the turquoise immediately put in mind of the colours in a peacocks feathers & voila, there was my inspiration.

Celtic designs are kind of a specialty of mine and are always a hit with my parents, so I decided to try and combine to two for the card. I have lots of copyright free celtic design books, a collection which I have built up over the years so I had a quick trawl through and quickly found this bird design (apologies for it being slightly out of focus).



I traced the design and made 3 copies, which I outlined in pen. I then painted it with acrylics, constantly referring to photos of peacocks for colour inspiration. I then cut out the birds, using a stanley knife for the very intricate bits and finally created a mount for them out of colour card & paper. This is how it turned out:



All in all it took about 4 hours and I'm really pleased I did it because Mum seemed to love it. She also loved her pressies which was nice.

Speaking of pressies, I still find it a bit weird that I get pressie's too on Mother's day! I got really nice ones though. My lovely hubby did a bit of shopping on Mabes' behalf and got me two books, which is always a very welcome pressie. The boy done good too and chose really well. I also got the sweetest card which was written from both of them.

As if that weren't enough, my mum decided to do a bit of role reversal and gave me a gift for mother's day, a bottle of vino & some chocolate. Good old Mum. Think I'll be putting them to good use on Thursday when John has his weekly night out with the boys. All I'll need is a cheesy girly flick, then I'll have the holy trinity for a girls night in.

I decided I should mark the occasion of my 3rd Mother's Day as a Mum (we brought Mabel home from the hospital on my first Mother's Day) by getting a pic of me & Mabes. She likes to sit with me in front the mirror when I'm doing my hair, so I thought it would be nice to get a pic of us together in the mirror. Here are the results:




Turns out it was nigh on impossible to get her to look in the mirror rather than the lens/display screen of the camera. Ho hum, I kind of like the pics anyway. You know what they say, never work with children & animals. Easier said than done when you live in a house with 1 2 year old, 3 cats & a dog.....

2 comments:

  1. I could never be that neat making a card, well done! lovely lovely portraits of you two. You are in my list of crafters I'd like to do a swap with: could u knit me a small polar bear? ask me for whatever u want in exchange! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lo. Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I would be completely honoured to do a swap with you and am humbled that you asked me. A polar bear is certainly gonna be a challenge, but I love a good challenge so will definitely give it ago. I love everything you make, but recently have especially loved your floral inspired dolls so would love a garden themed fairy doll if possible? x

    ReplyDelete